Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tax Day

I tend to be a procrastinator. But I had no intention of waiting until the last minute to file our ‘lack of’ income taxes. We’re getting money back for goodness sakes! But still I put it off and put it off. I finally got them done on Sunday only to get an e-mail today from TurboTax telling me the eFile was rejected. I messed up on the 2006 AGI figure the IRS uses as verification for the ‘electronic signature’. So here I am on tax day scrambling to correct the eFile and resend.

Fair Tax anyone? A federal consumption (sales) tax doing away with all income taxes? Doesn’t sound like such a bad idea right now. I know there’s plenty of well-reasoned criticism of the Fair Tax, plan but at least it’s a discussion moving in the right direction. Year after year we hear about simplifying the tax code yet it never happens. Instead it gets more complicated with additional and revised deductions and credits and qualifications pushed by lobbyists and passed by well-meaning but ill-informed legislators.

It’s time for a change. Change we can believe in. Hope we can believe in. I didn’t just say that.

No comments: